Tess Thomas, the owner of Emma’s BBQ in Seattle, Washington, has been in the restaurant industry for years. She named the restaurant after her mother, Emma, who, according to Thomas, was a natural cook.
“Emma was just a person that anything she could smell, she could put her twist to it and it became something delectable,” Thomas said. “Her recipes go back to the days of slavery. I’ve tweaked them just a little bit, but I have a love of these recipes.”
Thomas always dreamed of opening up a restaurant with her mother’s recipes, and so her niece helped her find an available location in her neighborhood. Her nephews also pitched in, as she prepared to open the restaurant.
“[It’s] something in the community that young people, African Americans specifically and people of color, can look at and say, ‘They’re doing that. I have a chance to do that too,'” Thomas said. “To that end, I just want it to continue.”
“I try to get my granddaughters and all of the family involved in one way or another,” she added. “If I need help, they come to help, and it’s been a family affair.”
Let us know what’s going on in your economy using the form below, and your story may be featured on a future edition of “My Economy.”
As a nonprofit news organization, our future depends on listeners like you who believe in the power of public service journalism.
Your investment in Marketplace helps us remain paywall-free and ensures everyone has access to trustworthy, unbiased news and information, regardless of their ability to pay.
Donate today — in any amount — to become a Marketplace Investor. Now more than ever, your commitment makes a difference.
- تهمت و تهدید به پایان رسید که بودجه بیش از "تکرار اشتباه" در COVID-19 پاسخ
- Home schooling gets “a flood of interest” during pandemic uncertainty
- اقتصاددانان در حال اندازه گیری اثربخشی هزینه coronavirus مستندات
- The best way to refinance: Avoid these 6 mistakes
- معلمان با فشار به عقب در برابر مدرسه بازگشایی برنامه
- Fairway Independent Mortgage Review for 2020
- غیرفعال سازی اینترنت همراه اول - ❤️ پست روزانه
- این دانشگاه متعهد به پیدا کردن شغل به صورت 100% از آن سال 2020 فارغ التحصیلان
- چطور بفهمیم اعتماد به نفس داریم یا نه؟
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies