With a history going back more than 150 years, Minnesota-based US Bank is a major player in financial services.Indeed, it claims to be the fifth-largest bank in the country. And when it comes to mortgages, US Bank was the tenth biggest lender by volume in 2019. However, the fact that lots of borrowers choose US Bank doesn't automatically mean it's the best mortgage company for you. That choice comes down to who can offer you the lowest rate and best terms on your home loan. Read up on the pros and cons and check rates to see whether US Bank is the right lender for your mortgage.
US Bank mortgage rates
Below, you can see how US Bank mortgage rates compare to other top lenders. Its rates seem a bit higher on average.
Note, averages shown in this table are from 2019, the latest data available.
Rates have fallen significantly since then, so these do not reflect current mortgage and refinance rates. It’s simply a tool to compare lenders side by side.
Average 30-year mortgage rates at major lenders
Average 30-Year Interest Rate, 2019
Monthly P&I Payment*
Median Loan Costs, 2019
Median Origination Charge, 2019
Average rate and fee data were sourced from public rate and fee records required by the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA).
*Monthly principal and interest payment based on a $250,000 home price, with 20% down, at each company’s average 30-year interest rate for 2019. Your own rate and monthly payment will vary.Verify your new rate (Sep 18th, 2020)
US Bank mortgage review for 2020
US Bank offers a wide range of mortgages and plenty of options for how you apply.
A couple of things worth noting about US Bank’s mortgage program:
- It offers construction loans for people that want to build their homes instead of buying one. Not all lenders do
- It will partner with down payment assistance programs to help approve first time buyer who’ve had a hard time saving a big down payment
- It offers a no-closing-cost refinance called the “Smart Refinance” with loan terms up to 20 years
The biggest drawback we saw with US Bank is that its mortgage rates appear to be higher than other major lenders on average.
However, rates vary widely from one borrower to the next. If US Bank likes the look of your credit score, down payment, and application, it may well offer you the lowest rate of any lender you apply to.
You never know who can offer you the lowest rate until you’ve checked with a few lenders. That’s why it’s so important to compare rates before you buy.
Working with US Bank mortgage
US Bank revamped its website recently — and it’s a huge improvement over its old one.
The online portal lets you begin a home loan application on your laptop or mobile device, save it part way through, and pick back up on any device when you have a moment. You can also upload documents securely.
The site also provides plenty of information about different loan choices, including current average mortgage rates.
Those who prefer working with a human can apply at a local branch across the desk from a specialist advisor. Or you can talk to an advisor through US Bank’s call center.
If you opt to make a face-to-face application, you need to be sure you have a local branch. US Bank’s network is smaller than many of its competitors.
That said, US Bank has a leg up in the Midwest, where its physical presence is stronger than other major lenders like Chase and PNC.
US Bank customer service reviews
US Bank seems to have improved its customer service since we first published this review.
Mortgage-related complaints at major lenders
Mortgage Originations 2019
CFPB Complaints 2019
Complaints Per 1,000 Mortgages
2019 JD Power Rating
US Bank’s customer review score improved from 785/1,000 in J.D. Power’s 2018 mortgage customer survey, to 856/1,000 in 2019. That bumped it from “below average” to slightly above average.
In addition, US Bank gets fewer than one complaint per 1,000 mortgage customers registered with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. And it earns an A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
Mortgage loan products at US Bank
US Bank’s website provides plenty of information about the mortgages it offers. These include:
- Fixed-rate mortgages — Besides the usual 30-year term, you can opt to borrow for 10, 15 or 20 years, letting you become mortgage-free earlier
- Adjustable-rate mortgages — You can choose to fix your rate for an initial period of three, five or 10 years, after which your rate floats with the market
- FHA loans — You can make a down payment as low as 3.5 percent and have less-than-pristine credit with these loans, which are backed by the Federal Housing Administration
- VA loans — Qualifying veterans and service members can borrow with zero down payment and no continuing mortgage insurance payments
- USDA loans — These loans are meant for low- to moderate-income people in qualified rural areas. Buyers can qualify for a USDA loan with 0% down payment
- Jumbo loans — When you want to borrow more than the cap for conventional loans, which is $510,400 in most areas
The bank also advertises investment property loans and new construction and lot loans for those that plan to rent out their property or build an entirely new one.
US Bank construction loans
US Bank offers construction loans for those who want to build their new home instead of buying it. These are different from mortgage loans.
A US Bank construction loan is a “short-term, interim loan” that pays the builder in installments as the house is being built.
During that time, the borrower pays only interest on the loan (also known as an “interest-only payment”).
Once construction is finished, the borrower has to either pay off the loan in cash or use a traditional mortgage to cover the cost of the home.
US Bank offers a few types of construction loans to fit different budgeting needs. However, there’s little information about these available. US Bank prefers you speak directly with one of its loan officers about construction loan options.
In addition, interest rates on construction loans are higher than interest rates on mortgages, because there’s no property for the loan to be secured against.
US Bank Smart Refinance
The US Bank Smart Refinance is a type of no-closing-cost refinance. It’s available with fixed rates and a loan term up to 20 years.
You can apply for the US Bank Smart Refinance refinance online, over the phone, or at a US Bank branch.
Remember, “no-closing-cost” does not mean there are no costs associated with your refinance. It either means the fees and closing costs are rolled into the loan amount or the interest rate is increased to pay for costs. Either way, you pay them over time instead of upfront.
Where can you get a mortgage with US Bank?
NMLS license number: 402761
US Bank is licensed to lend in all 50 states.
If you like what you’ve read in this US Bank mortgage review, you’ll want to know how to move forward. So here are your options.
- Apply digitally through US Bank’s fully-functional online portal, available on desktop and mobile
- Call a US Bank loan officer and apply over the phone
- Meet with a loan officer in person at one of US Bank’s 2,000+ branch locations
Note, US Bank does not have physical branches in every state.
At the time of publishing this review, it has just under 3,000 branches in 26 states, primarily concentrated in the West and Midwest.
US Bank is also undergoing branch closures in 2020. So you’ll need to double-check whether there are still locations near you. You can use the branch locator tool below to do that.
Use the US Bank branch locator to find a branch near you
Is US Bank the best mortgage lender for you?
If you already have a relationship with US Bank via checking or savings accounts, or even have a prior relationship with a US bank loan officer, this bank could be a great option for your mortgage.
However, US Bank mortgage rates appear to be on the higher end, at least on average. So make sure you compare personalized rates from a few other lenders before choosing.
That’s the best way to find a low rate and big savings on your home loan.Verify your new rate (Sep 18th, 2020)
- خواهد فروشندگان و یا خریداران خانه مزیت این تابستان ؟
- از سانتا مونیکا به برانکس: چگونه جوامع ارتجاعی از خشونت در تظاهرات
- میلیون ها نفر از آمریکایی ها در صورت انگ حرکت به عقب در با پدر و مادر خود
- تابستان فرا رسیده است. بسیاری از مشاغل در تابستان ندارد.
- پرداخت صورتحساب هنگامی که شما بوده ام از کار
- نرخ وام مسکن امروز, مارس 13 سال 2020 به همراه قفل توصیه
- مانی ربات چیست و اموزش لینک سازی با آن
- چگونه coronavirus همه گیر است موثر بر گذار به اقتصاد
- سال پرکاری برای حسابداران مالیاتی حتی با یک جولای 15 آخرین مهلت تشکیل پرونده
- بهینه سازی سایت و مواردی که باید حتماً بدانید